FAQContact usTerms of servicePrivacy Policy

How can I find a nurse attorney in my state?

Friday December 30, 2011
Printer Icon
Select Text Size: Zoom In Zoom Out
Share this Nurse.com Article
rss feed

Dear Nancy,

I'm looking for a great nurse attorney in my state. I have a public record on my RN license and plan to petition to have it removed. It's affecting my career. Iím having a hard time getting into a master's program because of my record.


Nancy Brent replies:

Dear Paul,

The American Association of Nurse Attorneys (www.taana.org) has an Attorney Referral tab on its homepage. When you go to the home page, you will see a link for the referral service. Click on the link and follow the instructions, including typing in your state, and you will be provided with a list of nurse-attorney members of TAANA who practice in the cities designated in your state (along with their contact information). You can contact them to find out which nurse attorneys handle licensure defense.

Another way to identify a nurse attorney who handles such matters is through your own professional liability insurance policy. Many policies provide coverage for licensure defense and some insurance companies provide that service by utilizing nurse attorneys to represent the insured. The insurance companies that use nurse attorneys for such defense also often provide the names of nurse attorneys who practice in a particular state as a benefit to its clients. If you have your own professional liability insurance policy, carefully review it to see if you have this coverage.


Nancy J. Brent, RN, MS, JD, is an attorney in private practice in Wilmette, Ill. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal or any other advice. The reader is encouraged to seek the advice of an attorney or other professional when an opinion is needed.