FAQContact usTerms of servicePrivacy Policy

What type of lawyer could represent a student at a college for nurse anesthetists?

Monday June 11, 2012
Printer Icon
Select Text Size: Zoom In Zoom Out
Share this Nurse.com Article
rss feed

Dear Nancy,

What type of lawyer could represent a student at a certified college for nurse anesthetists?


Nancy Brent replies:

Dear Lula,

An attorney who concentrates his or her practice in education law and represents students would be in the best position to represent a student at any private or public college. It would be great if you could locate a nurse attorney or attorney in this area of the law who is or was a nurse anesthetist, but that is not essential.

You did not include what your issues are with your educational program, but an attorney who practices in the area of education law should be familiar with most legal concerns students face, such as not meeting clinical requirements, poor clinical evaluations, ethical breaches of the college's code of conduct, profession, or the educational contract between the student and the college, or plagiarism.

Your state bar association's lawyer referral service is one resource to find such an attorney, as well as local bar associations' referral services. If a fellow student has utilized an attorney in the past, he or she might be of some help as well. The American Association of Nurse Attorneys has a lawyer referral service and you can find that on the Association's home page at www.taana.org.


Nancy J. Brent, RN, MS, JD, is an attorney in private practice in Wilmette, Ill. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal or any other advice. The reader is encouraged to seek the advice of an attorney or other professional when an opinion is needed.