FAQContact usTerms of servicePrivacy Policy

After completing training in India, what are the requirements to be a staff nurse in the U.S.?

Wednesday August 22, 2012
Printer Icon
Select Text Size: Zoom In Zoom Out
Share this Nurse.com Article
rss feed

Dear Donna,

I completed my science HSC board exam and a general nursing and midwifery course in India. I have one year of experience at a large hospital. I came to the U.S. on a visa. Can I work here as a staff nurse at any hospital and what are the requirements to practice? Also, can I further my education here?


Dear Donna replies:

Dear Questioning,

In order to practice nursing in the U.S., you must have an RN license in the state you wish to practice in. To find out what the requirements are for licensure of an internationally educated nurse, go here www.idfpr.com/Renewals/apply/FORMS/CGFNS_02.pdf.

You'll find helpful information related to taking the licensing exam and work visas at www.cgfns.org.

For additional help, support and advice contact the National Association of Indian Nurses of America (www.nainausa.com).

Best wishes,

Donna Cardillo, RN, MA, well-known career guru, is Nurse.com’s “Dear Donna” and author of “Your First Year as a Nurse: Making the Transition from Total Novice to Successful Professional” and “The ULTIMATE Career Guide for Nurses: Practical Advice for Thriving at Every Stage of Your Career.” Information about the books is available at www.Nurse.com/CE/7010 and www.Nurse.com/CE/7250, respectively. To ask Donna your question, go to www.Nurse.com/Asktheexperts/Deardonna. Find a “Dear Donna” seminar near you: Call 800-866-0919 or visit http://Events.nursingspectrum.com/Seminar.