FAQContact usTerms of servicePrivacy Policy

I have a BSN, 22 years of experience and I am a certified diabetes educator. Any suggestions on how to obtain a license in the U.S.?

Friday February 1, 2013
Printer Icon
Select Text Size: Zoom In Zoom Out
Share this Nurse.com Article
rss feed

Dear Donna,

I have a BSN, 22 years of clinical and quality improvement experience and I am a certified diabetes educator. Any suggestions on how to obtain a state license in the U.S.? Should I work with a recruiter?

Canadian Nurse

Dear Donna replies:

Dear Canadian Nurse,

Go to the website of the U.S. board of nursing of any state you wish to work and live in. See what they require for Canadian-educated nurses to get licensed. Find a list of boards of nursing at www.ncsbn.org/contactbon.htm.

Working with a recruiter can be helpful, both in obtaining a U.S. license and finding a job as long, as you don't have to pay a fee. The hospital job market in the U.S. is tight right now, but the opportunities are out there in various settings. You should be very marketable with the BSN, CDE, QI and clinical experience.

Another site you may find helpful for credential verification and visa info is www.cgfns.org.

Best wishes,

Donna Cardillo, RN, MA, well-known career guru, is Nurse.com’s “Dear Donna” and author of “Your First Year as a Nurse: Making the Transition from Total Novice to Successful Professional” and “The ULTIMATE Career Guide for Nurses: Practical Advice for Thriving at Every Stage of Your Career.” Information about the books is available at www.Nurse.com/CE/7010 and www.Nurse.com/CE/7250, respectively. To ask Donna your question, go to www.Nurse.com/Asktheexperts/Deardonna. Find a “Dear Donna” seminar near you: Call 800-866-0919 or visit http://Events.nursingspectrum.com/Seminar.