FAQContact usTerms of servicePrivacy Policy

The prison that terminated me, because I reported drug theft and patient abuse, is now preventing me from working by spreading a false arrest record. What can I do?

Friday February 22, 2013
Printer Icon
Select Text Size: Zoom In Zoom Out
Share this Nurse.com Article
rss feed

Dear Nancy,

I was terminated because I reported drug theft and patient abuse at a prison in my state. The prison administration is now preventing me from working by spreading a false arrest record and giving my wife's address to inmates. I won my state personnel board hearing, but want them to retract the false arrest data.


Nancy Brent replies:

Dear Randall,

It would be best for you to consult with a nurse attorney or attorney who works in the area of criminal law and can represent you in getting the false arrest record removed (if that is possible in your state). The fact that you won your state personnel board hearing works in your favor.

The other concern would be preventing them from giving out family members' addresses. This could put your family members at risk. Possibly, there may be a protective or other order that would prevent the prison administration from releasing this personal information. However, this type of information is readily available on the Internet and in phone books.

In addition, there may be “whistleblowing” protection for you outside of your state personnel board hearing rights. The attorney with whom you speak can share this information with you.

Retaining an attorney as soon as possible would be a wise move.


Nancy J. Brent, RN, MS, JD, is an attorney in private practice in Wilmette, Ill. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal or any other advice. The reader is encouraged to seek the advice of an attorney or other professional when an opinion is needed.