FAQContact usTerms of servicePrivacy Policy

Will an IV therapy course I took in one state be accepted for continuing education credit in another?

Monday April 15, 2013
Printer Icon
Select Text Size: Zoom In Zoom Out
Share this Nurse.com Article
rss feed

Dear Nancy,

I am an LPN, originally licensed in one state, but also got licensed in a different state. Now I have to show that I have completed continuing education courses. Will an intravenous therapy course I took in one state be accepted in the other?


Nancy Brent replies:

Dear Jeanette,

The answer to your question only can come from the state board in the state in which you now practice and that now requires continuing education for continued licensure. It may be that any certification course successfully completed can count towards the total number of CEUs you need to obtain re-licensure, but only the board can answer that question.

If the board did not send out written materials to you as a licensee there, you should check the board’s website. Many times, when changes like this occur, the board posts a notice about the change and additional information about it that can easily be accessed by nurse licensees. For example, boards often list the number of CEUs required per licensure year for relicensure, the types of courses that are accepted by the board as continuing education courses and the organizations the board accepts as reputable organizations offering CEUs.

If the board has not done this in your state, you can obtain this information from your local licensed practical nurses association, either on its website or by calling the local office.


Nancy J. Brent, RN, MS, JD, is an attorney in private practice in Wilmette, Ill. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal or any other advice. The reader is encouraged to seek the advice of an attorney or other professional when an opinion is needed.