FAQContact usTerms of servicePrivacy Policy

I am an advanced registered nurse practitioner and I need to apply for a furnishing license. Do I need to be certified before it can be issued?

Monday July 1, 2013
Printer Icon
Select Text Size: Zoom In Zoom Out
Share this Nurse.com Article
rss feed

Dear Donna,

I am an advanced registered nurse practitioner and I need to apply for a furnishing license in California. I am working as a nurse practitioner and I have applied for my Drug Enforcement Administration number, but it cannot be issued until I receive my furnishing number. Do I have to be certified in order to get my furnishing number? I thought certification was a matter of choice. The California Board of Registered Nursing does not provide straight answers.


Dear Donna replies:

Dear ARNP,

I checked with a representative of the California chapter of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (www.aanp.org). They tell me you do not need to be nationally certified in California to get a furnishing number.

Hopefully you are already a member of AANP. If not, join and participate. Professional associations can be of great help and support in every aspect of your professional life and are vital for professional success.

Best wishes,

Donna Cardillo, RN, MA, well-known career guru, is Nurse.com’s “Dear Donna” and author of “Your First Year as a Nurse: Making the Transition from Total Novice to Successful Professional” and “The ULTIMATE Career Guide for Nurses: Practical Advice for Thriving at Every Stage of Your Career.” Information about the books is available at www.Nurse.com/CE/7010 and www.Nurse.com/CE/7250, respectively. To ask Donna your question, go to www.Nurse.com/Asktheexperts/Deardonna. Find a “Dear Donna” seminar near you: Call 800-866-0919 or visit http://Events.nursingspectrum.com/Seminar.