FAQContact usTerms of servicePrivacy Policy

One of my former employers stated that I falsified a physician's note. Now they are trying to bully me into pleading guilty. What are my options?

Friday August 9, 2013
Printer Icon
Select Text Size: Zoom In Zoom Out
Share this Nurse.com Article
rss feed

Dear Nancy,

I am an LPN and the board of nursing received a complaint from one of my former employers who stated that I falsified a physician's note. The director of nursing called the physician and asked if the note was signed by him. Now they want to reprimand me. They give nurses with drug problems a slap on the wrist, but want to tarnish my character and reputation and are trying to bully me into pleading guilty. What are my options?


Nancy Brent replies:

Dear Eva,

Your only choice in this situation is to retain a nurse attorney or attorney to represent you before the board of nursing so that you can defend yourself against this allegation. This is so whether or not you falsified the physician's note, which you did not indicate, but it is assumed you did not do so.

Although you think that nurses with drug problems receive only a slap on the wrist, that is not the case. Any complaint against a licensed nurse is taken very seriously by the board of nursing and cannot be ignored. Not defending yourself so that your name can be cleared is the worst mistake a person can make. If left undefended, it truly can tarnish a person's reputation.

It is unclear who is bullying you, but you cannot allow that to happen. Retain an attorney and fight the allegations against you. If you are successful, and the allegations are the result of bullying, ill will or other motives, those who have done so can be held responsible for their actions. Your attorney can discuss this with you.


Nancy J. Brent, RN, MS, JD, is an attorney in private practice in Wilmette, Ill. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal or any other advice. The reader is encouraged to seek the advice of an attorney or other professional when an opinion is needed.