FAQContact usTerms of servicePrivacy Policy

Can a physician with a degree from Colombia get an evaluation of his/her degree to get an RN in the U.S. in order to study in a NP program?

Wednesday June 25, 2014
Printer Icon
Select Text Size: Zoom In Zoom Out
Share this Nurse.com Article
rss feed

Dear Donna,

I'm a physician who graduated from school in Colombia in 2003. Can I get an evaluation of my degrees and obtain a RN in the U.S. in order to study in a NP program?

MD Who Wants To Be An NP

Dear Donna replies:

Dear MD Who Wants To Be An NP,

The only way one would be eligible to sit for the RN exam in any U.S. state is to have graduated from an accredited RN program. Nursing and medical education, even in the U.S., are very different, so your medical training/degree would not translate into an RN license.

You do not need to be an RN first to get accepted into some NP programs. You would need to find a direct entry MSN/NP program. You can find these by doing an Internet search or you can check with the board of nursing in any U.S. state where you live or wish to live or study for this type of accredited program. You can find state BONs here: https://www.ncsbn.org/contactbon.htm.

You also can check with the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (http://www.aanp.org/) for information about direct-entry programs.

Best wishes,

Donna Cardillo, RN, MA, well-known career guru, is Nurse.com’s “Dear Donna” and author of “Your First Year as a Nurse: Making the Transition from Total Novice to Successful Professional” and “The ULTIMATE Career Guide for Nurses: Practical Advice for Thriving at Every Stage of Your Career.” Information about the books is available at www.Nurse.com/CE/7010 and www.Nurse.com/CE/7250, respectively. To ask Donna your question, go to www.Nurse.com/Asktheexperts/Deardonna. Find a “Dear Donna” seminar near you: Call 800-866-0919 or visit http://www. Nurse.com/Events.