FAQContact usTerms of servicePrivacy Policy

I’m from Jamaica. What do I need to do to work as a nurse in the U.S.?

Monday October 20, 2008
Printer Icon
Select Text Size: Zoom In Zoom Out
Share this Nurse.com Article
rss feed

Dear Donna,

I’m from Jamaica, and I want to work in the USA as a nurse. Please tell me how I register to do my NCLEX exam and what other things I need to do to work as a nurse in the USA.


Dear Donna replies:

Dear Jusene,

I can’t tell from your note whether you are already in the U.S. or want to come to the U.S. If you’re still in Jamaica, decide where you wish to live and work. Then contact that state board of nursing about licensing requirements for nurses educated outside the U.S. This last step also applies if you already reside in the U.S. Find the state boards of nursing at https://www.ncsbn.org/515.htm.

Also visit CGFNS International’s Web site <http://www.cgfns.org> for additional information about credential review, etc.

Best Wishes!

Donna Cardillo, RN, MA, well-known career guru, is Nursing Spectrum/NurseWeek’s “Dear Donna” and author of Your First Year as a Nurse: Making the Transition from Total Novice to Successful Professional and The ULTIMATE Career Guide for Nurses: Practical Advice for Thriving at Every Stage of Your Career. Information about the books is available at www.nurse.com/CE/7010 and www.nurse.com/CE/7250, respectively. To ask Donna your question, go to www.nurse.com/asktheexperts/deardonna. Find a “Dear Donna” seminar near you: Call (800) 866-0919 or visit http://events.nursingspectrum.com/Seminar.