FAQContact usTerms of servicePrivacy Policy

I took the NCLEX in California. How do I file for reciprocity in Michigan?

Monday May 4, 2009
Printer Icon
Select Text Size: Zoom In Zoom Out
Share this Nurse.com Article
rss feed

Dear Donna,

I just passed the NCLEX exam in California. I haven’t received my license because I need an SSS number. I have an employer in Michigan. I was wondering how to request reciprocity from California to Michigan.


Dear Donna replies:

Dear Sheila,

Congratulations on passing NCLEX and getting through school. That’s quite an accomplishment. Once you have your California license, you need to apply to the Michigan Department of Community Health at www.michigan.gov/mdch and click on Health Systems & Health Profession Licensing for a license “by endorsement.” Find that application at www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_fhs_bhser_nurseendpkt_74432_7.pdf.

You’ll have to file an application, pay a fee, supply requested paperwork, and comply with any additional requirements they have such as fingerprinting and a background check, etc. The whole process can take three to six weeks. But you may be able to obtain a temporary license from Michigan while you wait if you wish to work there while your application for endorsement is being processed.

Best wishes,

Donna Cardillo, RN, MA, well-known career guru, is Nursing Spectrum/NurseWeek’s “Dear Donna” and author of “Your First Year as a Nurse: Making the Transition from Total Novice to Successful Professional” and “The ULTIMATE Career Guide for Nurses: Practical Advice for Thriving at Every Stage of Your Career.” Information about the books is available at www.Nurse.com/CE/7010 and www.nurse.com/CE/7250, respectively. To ask Donna your question, go to www.nurse.com/asktheexperts/deardonna. Find a “Dear Donna” seminar near you: Call 800-866-0919 or visit http://events.nursingspectrum.com/Seminar.