FAQContact usTerms of servicePrivacy Policy

What will I have to do if I get my license in one state and want to work in another?

Thursday March 22, 2012
Printer Icon
Select Text Size: Zoom In Zoom Out
Share this Nurse.com Article
rss feed

Dear Donna,

I am a licensed vocational nursing student in Texas but I am moving back to Michigan where they have totally different laws. What will I have to do if I get my license in one state and want to work in another? Am I going to have to take two tests?


Dear Donna replies:

Dear Kelly,

You have to apply in Michigan for a license by endorsement. Find out more about that at http://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_fhs_bhser_nurseendpkt_74432_7.pdf. Scroll down to the section headed: PRACTICAL NURSE LICENSURE BY ENDORSEMENT INSTRUCTIONS.

You should not have to take any tests. You may need to take certain CE courses before being issued a license there, but they will advise you. Here's related information if you do: http://CE.nurse.com/State-nurse-ce-requirements/Michigan.

Best wishes,

Donna Cardillo, RN, MA, well-known career guru, is Nursing Spectrum/NurseWeek’s “Dear Donna” and author of “Your First Year as a Nurse: Making the Transition from Total Novice to Successful Professional” and “The ULTIMATE Career Guide for Nurses: Practical Advice for Thriving at Every Stage of Your Career.” Information about the books is available at www.Nurse.com/CE/7010 and www.Nurse.com/CE/7250, respectively. To ask Donna your question, go to www.Nurse.com/asktheexperts/deardonna. Find a “Dear Donna” seminar near you: Call 800-866-0919 or visit http://events.nursingspectrum.com/Seminar.